All parkrun events in this country are currently suspended due to COVID-19 (Coronavirus). For further details please see here
The course is 5000m (5K) long. The course is at Roosevelt Island, George Washington Memorial Parkway, Arlington and is accessible via the Mount Vernon bicycle trail. The course is run on a mixture of packed earth paths, gravel paths and all weather planking through a wooded area and swampy wetlands. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Roosevelt Island DC parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
- You are welcome to take part with a dog, but please keep the dog on a short lead or short harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Roosevelt Island DC parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.For more information, please see our Support page.
The course follows an out-and-back lasso-shaped route on the Woods, Swamp, and Upland Trails, starting just south of the Theodore Roosevelt Memorial.
Restrooms are available on a seasonal basis, and a port-a-john is available in the winter. These facilities are located about a quarter of a mile past the start.
Location of startThe event starts on the Woods Trail just south of the Theodore Roosevelt Memorial.
Getting there by public transportRoosevelt Island is an easy 10 to 15 minute walk from the Rosslyn metro station. From Rosslyn station, head north on N. Moore Street (i.e. downhill), turn right on 19th, and then left on N. Lynn Street toward Key Bridge. At the intersection before Key Bridge, turn right onto the Mount Vernon bicycle trail. Follow the trail to the Roosevelt Island parking area. The footbridge at the far end of the parking area crosses over to Roosevelt Island.
Getting there on footBicycle and pedestrian access to Roosevelt Island is available via the Mount Vernon Trail, and there is a Capital Bikeshare station located in the Roosevelt Island parking area. Access to the Mount Vernon Trail is available from Rosslyn using the directions above or from Washington, DC via the Key Bridge or the Theodore Roosevelt Bridge.
Getting there by roadLimited parking is available in the Roosevelt Island parking area, and it fills up fast when the weather is nice. We recommend coming by public transport, foot, or bicycle if possible. If coming by car, we recommend parking in Rosslyn (metered street parking and paid public parking garages are available) and walking to Roosevelt Island. One parking garage option is Colonial Parking at 1919 N. Lynn St, Arlington, VA 22209 ($5 on Saturday). If planning to park at Roosevelt Island, we recommend arriving extra early to ensure a parking spot, especially when the weather is nice.
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee at East West Coffee in the Rosslyn neighborhood (1901 N Moore St, Arlington, VA 222091 - entrance is around the corner on N. Lynn St) - please come and join us!