The course is 5000m (5K) long. The course is at Winan’s Meadow, West Baltimore. The course is run on a mixture of paved paths and trail paths. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Leakin Park parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
- You are welcome to take part with a dog, but please keep the dog on a short lead or short harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Leakin Park parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.
For more information, please see our Support
This is a double out and back course. The course is all on paved road
or path. The start is on the concrete bridge to left of parking lot near
the pavilion. Runners keep left and follow path, with river on left, to
end over a long wooden bridge. Turn left up the road until you hit the
turnaround after approx 425m to the top of the ridge. Turn around at the
marshal point. Follow the course back over the wooden bridge keeping the
river on your right. Follow the path to return to the starting area for
a loop around the start cones and return out on the 2nd lap. At the end
of the second lap continue to the bridge by the pavilion into the finish
Toilets near the start/finish area.
Location of startThe event starts on the concrete bridge to left of parking lot near the pavilion.
Getting there by public transportBus Route 015 (to Overlea via B Mason) runs via Windsor Mill Road and
Forest Park Avenue. From Windsor Mill Road / Crimea Road stop, walk down
Eagle Drive and cut through the park on trails.
From Forest Park Avenue / Pleasant Street stop, walk down North Forest park Avenue onto North Franklintown Road and continue East along the marked “GF” trail for 1.5 miles to Winan’s Meadow.
Getting there on footWinan’s Meadow is approximately halfway along North Franklintown Road
between Hilton Parkway and North Forest Park Avenue. It can also be
reached on foot from the east or west via the marked Gwynn’s Falls “GF”
Trail route from the Inner Harbour or the I-70 Park & Ride.
Getting there by roadFrom I-695 take I-70 East toward the Park & Ride. Take exit 94 (Security Blvd) to the right as it merges onto Security Blvd. Stay in the right lane and continue for 0.25 miles. Before the stoplight for Forest Park Ave, there's a right turn for Ingleside Ave; turn right onto Ingleside Ave. Within 200-meters, Ingleside Ave ends at a "T" junction. Turn right at the "T" junction onto Franklintown Road. Follow Franklintown Road for 1.0 miles; this two-lane paved road will consist of two stop signs, a few speed humps, and a winding forested area. At the the stop sign for Winans Way, continue straight and follow the road to the left. The park will be 0.25 miles on the left.
Parking at Winan’s Meadow can accommodate for approx. 40-50 cars. Full address and zip code for the car park is 4500 North Franklintown Rd, Baltimore, Maryland, 21229.
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee in a local café - please come and join us!