The course is 5000m (5k) long. This has been accurately measured by us with a professional measuring wheel. The course is at Winan’s Meadow, West Baltimore. The course is run on a mixture of paved paths and trail paths. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
Leakin Park parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the event as safe as possible, so participants, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces – whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us.
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
- You are welcome to take part with one dog by your side, within reach at all times, on a short, handheld, non-extendable lead. Please also see this Support Site entry for further details about parkrunning with dogs.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take care of others around you and do your best to start at an appropriate place in the field for your pace.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Leakin Park parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help parkrunners compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.For more information, please see our Support page.
Course DescriptionThis is a double out and back course. The course is all on paved road or path. The start is on a paved path approx 115m to the west (left) of the parking area near a fork in the paved path. Runners run towards the parking area and keep right at the first fork. Cross over a concrete bridge, and follow the path near the car park with the river to the left. Continue past a second fork until reaching a large wood and metal bridge. Cross the large bridge and turn left on the abandoned road for approx 400m until you reach the turnaround. Follow the course back over the large bridge, keeping the river on your right. When you reach the fork before the car park, turn right and cross a smaller bridge. Follow this around to the fork near the concrete bridge. Turn left and cross the concrete bridge to start the 2nd lap. Repeat the entire course. At the end of the second lap, continue to the fork near the concrete bridge, but turn right to reach the finish funnel.
Toilets near the start/finish area.
Location of startThe event starts on a paved path approx 115m to the west (left) of the parking area near a fork in the paved path.
Getting there by public transportBus Route 015 (to Overlea via B Mason) runs via Windsor Mill Road and Forest Park Avenue. From Windsor Mill Road / Crimea Road stop, walk down Eagle Drive and cut through the park on trails.
From Forest Park Avenue / Pleasant Street stop, walk down North Forest park Avenue onto North Franklintown Road and continue East along the marked “GF” trail for 1.5 miles to Winan’s Meadow.
Getting there on footWinan’s Meadow is approximately halfway along North Franklintown Road between Hilton Parkway and North Forest Park Avenue. It can also be reached on foot from the east or west via the marked Gwynn’s Falls “GF” Trail route from the Inner Harbour or the I-70 Park & Ride.
Getting there by roadFrom I-695 take I-70 East toward the Park & Ride. Take exit 94 (Security Blvd) to the right as it merges onto Security Blvd. Stay in the right lane and continue for 0.25 miles. Before the stoplight for Forest Park Ave, there's a right turn for Ingleside Ave; turn right onto Ingleside Ave. Within 200-meters, Ingleside Ave ends at a "T" junction. Turn right at the "T" junction onto Franklintown Road. Follow Franklintown Road for 1.0 miles; this two-lane paved road will consist of two stop signs, a few speed humps, and a winding forested area. At the the stop sign for Winans Way, continue straight and follow the road to the left. The park will be 0.25 miles on the left.
Parking at Winan’s Meadow can accommodate for approx. 40-50 cars. Full address and zip code for the car park is 4500 North Franklintown Rd, Baltimore, Maryland, 21229.