All parkrun events in this country are currently suspended due to COVID-19 (Coronavirus). For further details please see here
The course is 5000m (5K) long. This has been accurately measured by us with a professional measuring wheel. The course is at Pinebank Promontory, Jamaica Pond, Boston. The course is run entirely on permanent paths. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Jamaica Pond parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
- You are welcome to take part with a dog, but please keep the dog on a short lead or short harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Jamaica Pond parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help parkrunners compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.For more information, please see our Support page.
Course DescriptionSummary: The route starts and finishes at the top of the Sugarbowl (Pinebank Promontory). Course is two-laps around the pond with a turnaround point after one lap. The course is mostly flat with a small downhill at start/ uphill towards end. Mainly shaded.
Detail: Gentle downhill at start towards pond. Complete one lap of pond clockwise on inside track (staying close to pond). Turn at cone/marshal point at entry/exit to pond. Complete one lap counter-clockwise around the outer edge of the pond. Pass the boathouse before leaving the pond at same entry/exit point. Gentle uphill with sharp left to enter the Pinebank Promontory finish area.
Toilet facilities available at Jamaica Pond Boathouse: all year-round.
Location of startThe event starts starts at the top of the Sugarbowl (Pinebank Promontory).
Getting there by public transportBy T (subway):
Stony Brook T (Orange line): approx. 1000m (15-20min) walk to start area.
Heath St @S Huntington Ave (Green line - E branch): approx. 1000m (15-20min) walk to start area.
Brookline village (Green line - D branch): approx. 1500m (20-25min) walk to start area.
Take the 39 bus to S Huntington & Perkins St. Walk approx. 400m down Perkins St to cross the Jamaicaway.
Getting there on footThe start is easily reached on foot or by bike on the Emerald Necklace bike/footpath. Short walk from road and nearby parking lots as above.
Getting there by roadDirections to parking lot at Pond Ave:
From route 9: Head South on Pond Ave. After approx. 1000m parking lot on left by Harry Downes Field.
Directions to parking lot at Willow Pond Road:
From route 9: Head south on Jamaicaway. Take first right on Willow Pond Rd. Parking lot on right side (by Daisy Field baseball field).
Street parking at Perkins St along west side of pond. Additional parking lots at: Jamaica Pond Parking, Willow Pond Road, Boston MA 02130 and off Pond Ave Brookline MA 02445. Both are approx. 200-300m walk from start/finish area.