The course is 5000m (5k) long. This has been accurately measured by us with a professional measuring wheel. The course is at Des Moines Beach Park Event Center, Des Moines. The course is run entirely on permanent paths. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
Des Moines Creek parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the event as safe as possible, so participants, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces – whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
- You are welcome to take part with one dog by your side, within reach at all times, on a short, handheld, non-extendable lead. Please also see this Support Site entry for further details about parkrunning with dogs.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take care of others around you and do your best to start at an appropriate place in the field for your pace.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Des Moines Creek parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help parkrunners compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.For more information, please see our Support page.
Course DescriptionA single out & back on paved walkway with elevation gain of 250 feet over 2.5K and 250 feet elevation loss on return.
Marina, parking, toilets, beach, grass meadow, picnic tables, picnic shelter, drinking fountains.
Location of startThe event starts at Des Moines Beach Park Event Center.
Getting there by public transportFrom downtown Seattle or Seattle-Tacoma International Airport: take the Link Lightrail to Angle Lake Station. From there, take Uber, Lyft, or taxi to Des Moines Beach Park.
From June 1st - September 14th, there is a free shuttle from the Des Moines Marina to Angle Lake Station, which participants can take on their return back to the station. Unfortunately, this shuttle does not operate prior to parkrun start time.
Getting there on footFrom Link Lightrail Angle Lake Station: walk west on S. 200th St for ¼ mile. Cross street and enter Des Moines Creek Trail north trailhead. Walk on paved trail for 2.5 miles to Des Moines Beach Park.
Getting there by roadIf using GPS, enter City of Des Moines Marina, WA 98198.
Paid parking ($2 per first two hours, $6 all day) at Des Moines Marina within 2 minutes walk to start/finish. Additional free street parking in surrounding area within 2-5 blocks of start/finish.