Inaugural run, October 15th 2016

We are excited to officially launch College Park parkrun on October 15th 2016. If you can't join us this week, don't worry. We'll be there the next week, and the week after that, and the week after that ...

The Diamondback, UMD's independent student newspaper, had a nice article this week about College Park parkrun. Thanks to the global parkrun community, it has been shared around the world, and seems to have been particularly popular in Australia. One nice consequence of launching our event is that we've made connections with far flung parkrunners with ties to College Park. For example, Mary Botto is a Terp alumna who is now a run director at a parkrun in Sydney. (Looking for excuses to visit that one!)

If you'll be joining us for the inaugural run, here are a couple of things to remember.

1. Don't forget your barcode! Your one-time sign-up at parkrun.us gets you a personal barcode that you should print out and bring to the run. It gives you free access to all 900 parkrun events worldwide. (You need to actually print it, as our scanners won't work with your phone.)

DFYB image

2. Transportation and parking alert! This weekend is a home football game at UMD (12pm, vs. Minnesota), and it's also UMD Family Weekend. This means that parking will be more scarce than normal. So please don't even try to park in UMD's Lot 11b, which would normally be the ideal place to park. And we expect very limited parking in the small lots right next to the run start. The kind folks at AMF Bowling on Route 1 have agreed to let us use their big parking lot for parkrun. If you park there, it's just a couple of minutes walk across the street to parkrun. Just walk down Metzerott Rd behind Rita's Italian Ice. If you drive to the start and find that no parking is available, then getting back to Route 1 is quite circuitous.

Of course, if you can come to parkrun by bike or on foot, then so much the better. That way, you get double the enjoyment of our trails, and none of the stress of parking.

parking

3. Post-run meet up! Totally optional, but we'll be meeting up for coffee (and more) at The Board and Brew after the run. Come by and join us for a chat in this cool independent coffee shop. It's just a few minutes walk from the start/finish.

dress rehearsal B-and-B

The weather forecast for Saturday is looking lovely. We're excited to enjoy our great local trails with you.

For updates you can also follow us on Facebook or Twitter.