All parkrun events in this country are currently suspended due to COVID-19 (Coronavirus). For further details please see here
The course is 5000m (5K) long. This has been accurately measured by us with a professional measuring wheel. The course is at Magic Island Park, Charleston. The course is run entirely on concrete paths. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Charleston parkrun, West Virginia is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
- Runners wishing to run with a dog are welcome, but please keep the dog on a short lead or harness and under control throughout the event. The City of Charleston leash law states that dogs must be on “a physical restraint or a leash so as to allow the animal to be controlled.” Only one dog per runner. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Charleston parkrun, West Virginia is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help parkrunners compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.For more information, please see our Support page.
Course DescriptionThe course starts at Magic Island Park, follows the shared use trail heading northwest along the river to the drinking fountain near Stockton Street, turns back along the trail towards the start at Magic Island heading southeast, continues along the trail past Magic Island to just past the bridge over the Elk River, then returns back the same way to the finish at Magic Island Park.
Public bathrooms are located at Magic Island Park.
Location of startThe event starts at Magic Island Park.
Getting there by public transportN/A
Getting there on footN/A
Getting there by roadCharleston parkrun starts and finishes near the intersection of Kanawha Boulevard West and Tennessee Avenue, at approximately 165 Kanawha Boulevard West. Map coordinates for the start are 38°21'25.1"N 81°38'51.0”W.
Free parking is available on the surrounding streets and in a designated Magic Island Park parking area located across the street under the I-64 bridge.