The course is 5000m (5K) long. The course is at Roosevelt Island, George Washington Memorial Parkway, Arlington. The course is run on a mixture of packed earth paths, gravel paths, causeway and all weather planking through the wetlands . Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Roosevelt Island DC parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Runners wishing to run with a dog are welcome, but please keep the dog on a short lead or harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are also welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
- While rare, Lyme Disease is present in areas where deer live, and occasionally passed to human's through infected ticks. See NHS Choices website for more about Lyme Disease, and how to deal with ticks.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Roosevelt Island DC parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.
For more information, please see our Support
The course starts on the main path about 100 meters south of Roosevelt's statue. Follow the main path south to the southern end then continue on it as it goes down and east. Continue on to the boardwalk which turns north and follow it straight to the northern end of the island. Follow the main path as it turns back west. Take the marked turn left to head back south along the path towards the Memorial. Follow the marked path to the left before the Memorial, then turn right onto the path again heading south for about 500 meters until it loops back north. The path loops back to rejoin the main path. Run on the same route in the opposite direction all the way back to the start.
"Restrooms (seasonal). Parking lot closed until June - available in Rosslyn. See getting there by car below.
Location of startThe run starts on the main path about 100 meters south of Roosevelt's statue.
Getting there by public transportFrom the Rosslyn metro station head north along N Moore St 0.2 miles past 19th St (0,2 m), another 100 feet, then turn right and follow US-29/Lee Hwy 100 ft. Then turn left onto N Lynn St for 300 feet, cross the intersection and immediately turn right onto then Custis Trail (40ft) and then the Mt Vernon Trail (0.3 miles south) to the parking area and foot bridge onto the island.
Getting there on footBiking & pedestrian access via the Mount Vernon Trail. Access to the MV Trail from the National Mall via the Memorial Bridge or the Theodore Roosevelt Bridge.
Getting there by roadSeveral parking garages are available near the metro station in Rosslyn, VA, including Colonial Parking at 1919 N. Lynn Street, Arlington, VA 22209($5 on Saturday). They are an easy walk or jog away from the Island.
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee in a local café - please come and join us!