The course is 5000m (5K) long. The course is at Thomas Lake Park, 4350 Thomas Lake Road, Eagan, MN 55122. The course is run entirely on asphalt paths. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Eagan parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Runners wishing to run with a dog are welcome, but please keep the dog on a short lead or harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are also welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
- While rare, Lyme Disease is present in areas where deer live, and occasionally passed to human's through infected ticks. See NHS Choices website for more about Lyme Disease, and how to deal with ticks.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Eagan parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.
For more information, please see the Running For Fitness
This is a two lap course run clockwise. The area has many beautiful prairie grasses, views of Thomas Lake and modest amounts of tree cover. The course starts on the southern edge of the Thomas Lake School parking lot in the area marked off by cones. Runners will run to the east along the northern edge of the park.for 0.4 miles before path bends to the right. The course tracks around the eastern parking lot and heads south where runners will follow the path along the northern edge of Thomas Lake. The course continues to follow the lake prior to taking a right and heading due north for 230 feet and then turning to the left. Keep left at this point and ascend a small hill prior to coming down the back side of the hill towards Thomas Lake Road. The course takes a right at the side walk and then a right into the parking lot. It goes along the southern edge of the parking lot in a lane coned off for the runners with no vehicle traffic crossing the area marked off for the course. Continue running due east into a second loop of the course and finish strong.
Restrooms at the pavilion at the south east corner of the park will be open from Memorial Day - Labor Day. A portable toilet will be available in the park throughout the year near the eastern parking lot of Thomas Lake Park.
Parking is available at Thomas Lake School as well as the eastern parking lot in Thomas Lake Park, off Pilot Knob Road.
Location of startThe run starts on the southern edge of the Thomas Lake School parking lot in the area marked off by cones.
Getting there by public transportFrom the Cedar Grove Transit Station, take the 438 Thomas Lake service. Exit at Thomas Lake Road and walk due north for about 0.4 miles.
Route 472 will also drop immediately to the west of the school parking lot.
Getting there on footBiking and foot traffic access via the High Line Trail system from the East or West is convenient.
If walking from the Thomas Lake Parking Lot on the east side of the park, follow the path to the north and then west. Follow this for 1300 feet until you enter the school parking lot.
Getting there by roadIf coming from the North: follow 35E south to Diffley Road exit. Go left at the lights for 0.7 miles. Take a right on Thomas Lake Road. Follow Thomas Lake Road for 0.5 miles and turn left into the school parking lot.
From the South: follow 35E north to Diffley Road exit. Go right at the lights for 0.6 miles. Take a right on Thomas Lake Road. Follow Thomas Lake Road for 0.5 miles and turn left into the school parking lot.
From the East: an alternative parking lot is available. It is about 1300 ft from the start / finish line. The address is 4425 Pilot Knob Road, Eagan, MN 55122.
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee in Starbucks @ Kowalski's Market, 1646 Diffley Rd, Eagan, MN 55122 - please come and join us!